I started talking about multirotors with a colleague a couple of days ago and I suddenly got the motivation back to finish my quadrocopter that I started to build over a year ago. I wanted to build my own quadrocopter controller based on my kalman filter for angle estimation. But I never really got the control parameters tuned good enough for stable flight.
I don’t think I’ve posted any pictures on the quadrocopter in my previous posts so I’ll post some here.
and some videos to show how far I got with the controller tuning.
The first thing I did when starting to work on the controller again was to rewrite the controller part of the code from scratch. This time I think I’ll implement two different control modes, one that I call stable and one that I call acrobatic. Actually I’m more interested in the stable mode since I want to use the quad as a camera platform but it’ll be nice to have an acrobatic mode as well. This is two rough sketches on how I plan to implement them.
In the stable controller the angle of the platform is controlled by the radio, while the acrobatic takes the angular rate as an input. If you tilt the stable platform 15° and then release the controller it will return to horizontal level while the acrobatic will continue to lean 15° until you pull the lever in the opposite direction and tilt the platform back.
As I wrote in my post about the Kalman filter it is actually two identical filters for pitch and roll working completely individually. This works great for angles up to somewhere around 45° but the filter will go crazy if you start doing loops and rolls. That’s why the Kalman filter is removed in the acrobatic mode leaving a controller that works directly on the gyro signals.
Right now the code is ready and parameters for the new PID controllers needs to be found. Last time I did this I built a rig but I left that at my parents house a while ago.
I dare not to test the new parameters without having the quadrocopter securely fastened to something heavy. On full throttle the motors produce around 1,2-1,4 kW of power which can do some real damage. I realized that the hard way…
I plan to visit my parents in a couple of weeks, I’ll post an update once i fetched the test rig.