In a comment on the post about my first Depron RC-plane I was asked for the plans. I’m afraid I don’t have the nice 1:1 print on multiple A4 plans that most people are used to, but if someone have a good guide on how I create those kinds of prints I’ll be happy to create one. But for now I can provide the drawing with measurements.
This will be my first project post on this blog starting with something I made a year ago. A RC aircraft made out of depron.
Depron is a foam material intended for insulation and sound dampening of floors. I bought a 10-pack of 6 mm and a 10-pack of 3 mm at Hornbach, a local hardware store, which will be enough for several planes. At this store the foam was actually called Ebisol instead of Depron, but I guess those are just two different brands of the same stuff.
There are thousands of freely available plans for such a model only a google search away but I had to design my own. Some time behind a CAD program I ended up with this.
If I were to build this model again i would definitively make some changes to the plans. Some parts of the model were very hard to assemble due to their complex shapes.
A couple of evenings of assembly and some inspections from the chief engineer
The model were done.
Almost all parts I used for this were bought from Hobby King
Apart from this i bought some carbon rods and some piano wire from a local RC store.
The only thing left to do were the test flight
That was the end of that aircraft. I’ve heard people say that the center of gravity was off making the plane unstable. I believe Murphy was trying to teach me a lesson that I should try to walk before I run. Maybe I should have used one of the existing plans known to work with a well defined spot for center of gravity.
As I said this was a year ago. Two weeks ago I visited Aeroseum which is an aircraft museum here in Gothenburg. By now my emotional wounds, from seeing hours of work crashing to the ground, have healed and i feel ready to make a new try.
More about that in a future post…